Finsbury Park is ready for more snow (possibly at the weekend)
By poppy_smith | Tuesday, January 15, 2013, 19:45
Islington Council's gritting teams and salt stockpiles are ready for action in the event of freezing weather in London.
The borough's winter road treatment plan is now in force and includes:
* up to 350 staff - including street sweepers who become gritters in icy weather - ready to spread grit
* a fleet of four road-gritting vehicles, 17 caged vehicles with grit to be spread by street teams, and four Powerflex Precinct machines, which clear snow from pavements and grit at the same time
* a stockpile of 600 tonnes of grit and salt, with plans for regular resupply
* ability to draw on London-wide reserves of 27,000 extra tonnes of salt, and mutual aid arrangements between boroughs
* a network of 300 grit bins across the borough, for use by council teams and residents
Islington's gritting teams have been out several times already in recent weeks, and some forecasters have said freezing temperatures and even some snow are possible in London this week.
Cllr Paul Smith, Islington Council's executive member for environment, said: "We're on the side of residents and committed to keeping Islington safe and moving during bad weather.
"As in previous years, our top priority will be tackling snow and ice near hospitals, fire and ambulance stations, schools, and on main roads.
"To help residents, we also have grit bins across Islington and a 'myth-buster' guide to clearing snow and ice from pavements."
In cold weather the council's environment team closely monitors weather forecasts and aims to pre-grit main roads before temperatures reach freezing.
In 2010/11, the council treated more than 3,000 miles of road, with approximately 400 tonnes of salt on roads and another 100 on pavements. The council's winter road treatment plan is in force from November to March.
A few key main routes, including Upper Street and Holloway Road, are gritted by Transport for London.
For the council's self-help guide to clearing ice and snow, and for more on the winter road treatment programmes, seewww.islington.gov.uk/gritting