Unsung community heroes including a young man who saved a stranger's life, a traffic warden who tackled a mugger and a long-serving night-shelter volunteer have been honoured in Islington.
In a ceremony at Islington Town Hall last night (Monday, March 11), the Mayor of Islington presented The Ben Kinsella Award and Mayor's Civic Awards to 10 people who have gone out of their way to help communities and local people.
The Ben Kinsella award honours a young person whose positive actions have made their mark in Islington, and is given in memory of teenager Ben Kinsella, who was murdered in 2008.
This year's award was presented to J'Vorge Kelly, a young man who stepped in and used his first-aid knowledge to help a man collapsed on the floor, helping to save his life.
Mayor's Civic Awards were presented to:
- Daniel Baker, who works hard to get local people of all ages and backgrounds involved in the arts
- Steve Coxshall, landlord at The Barnsbury pub and staunch supporter of local veterans
- Andrew Daniel, a committed volunteer for 13 years at an Islington night shelter
- Daniel Flood and Famil Piansy, who set up a community football team to help stop anti-social behaviour
- Louise Geraghty, who has worked hard to improve her estate, including spending her own money on plants
- Felix Hebblethwaite, who works for Linklaters law firm and has built strong links with the community
- Gabby Mann, tenants' leader and community organiser on the Taverner & Peckett estate
- Mohammad Yasar, an Islington civil enforcement officer who stepped in when he saw a mugging taking place
- Ashok Patel, Newington Green shop owner and community champion, who was injured in a recent robbery
Cllr Jilani Chowdhury, mayor of Islington, said: "Across Islington there are hundreds of unsung community heroes who make a real difference to other people's lives.
"They do so without thought of reward, and our civic awards are a chance to say thanks for all their hard work on behalf of others."
The awards, now in their 12th year, are sponsored by the Islington Gazette.
For more details of all award winners please see notes to editors.